Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I just don't understand!!!





I try to keep my political feelings away from the blog, but sometimes I have to comment. I must be oversimplifying things but what could be wrong with a leader wanting to talk to school children about working hard and pulling up their socks!

It sometimes can be challenging to inculcate a sense of responsibilty into children. The general premise seems to be to "wait till they are older". I have to confess I strongly feel that simple lessons inculcated in childhood can make all the difference.

Anyhow, to get ready for school today last evening I stuck to cooking something simple and practical but quite flavorful. I have realized that keeping something on the stove just a little bit longer can make a huge difference in terms of the flavoring of things. The fish pretty much cooked by itself into a nice flavorful gravy, that we ate with chapatis.

Codfish in a tomato and capsicum gravy

Prep/Cook Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients

1 lbs codfish fillets, cut into medium sized pieces

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1 lime

1 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons mustard or olive oil

1 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalo jire)

1 red onion, cut into a very fine dice

1 tablespoon, finely grated ginger

1 green bell pepper cut into thin slices

1-2 slit green chilles

1 cup fresh diced tomatoes ( 3 medium sized tomatoes)

1 teaspoon sugar

Extra salt if needed

1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro

Method of Preparation

1. Rub the fish with salt and turmeric and squeeze with the lime juice and set aside.

2. Heat the oil and add nigella seeds and wait for them to sizzle. Add the onion and ginger and cook on low heat for about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should be fairly soft and well browned by now.

3. Add the green bell pepper and green chillies and cook for 1-2 more minutes.

4. Add the tomatoes and cook stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are fairly soft, (about 3-4 minutes).

5. Stir in the sugar and taste for salt. Gently add in the fish and extra salt if needed and simmer for 5 minutes until the fish is cooked through.

6. Stir in the cilantro and eat with rice or chappattis.

2 comments:

  1. No matter how much I try, I've never been able to eat fish with chapati.
    The recipe sounds great though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I don't usually like it, it depends on the preparation and also, I do not make chapatis that often so I guess the novelty factor helps!

    ReplyDelete