Sunday, December 13, 2009

Mutton Mushroon Stew - Lightly Spiced Lamb Curry

In Indian parlence, mutton reffers to good quality goat meat. Actually way back when - yes I am talking two decades (almost) back, when I was still living in India, lamb was not seen on menus, this has changed.





I see students and other give me a look of horror when I tell them about goat meat, but in reality goat meat is very tasty and a lot leaner than lamb. This being said it is not very easy to find in Westchester. My substitute is using American lamb, which I feel is a little closer in taste to goat meat. No one else in my household eats lamb. Nonetheless, for various reasons including freeing myself of the toxic situation at work, I felt that I owed myself a treat. So I cooked up a quick and satisfying lamb/mutton curry. It was spicy, somewhat robust, laced with mushrooms and potatoes. Just what you would want a wintery day like today. I have spent the entire weekend running around - dance class, grocery, you name it. I deserved something comforting just for myself.


I made some rice- also nicely flavored with fennel, cumin, ginger and nicely filled with spinach leaves to add some nutrition to the meal. Well, here it is, my treat to myself. Ok, Ok, I made some other stuff to go with the rice so that others at home could eat as well, I shall tell you about it later.


There was one other highlight to weekend, we went over to Rajni's (my household helper/kid shuttler) for a small gathering. They live as a 2 family (2 brothers and their own), her mother and father-in-law live with them too. I had always pictured their household as something chaotic, just because that is how our house is on a lot of days, with half the number of inhabitants. I was simply floored by the warmth, peace and homeyness that their house radiated. They were warm open, completely ready to share all that they had to offer.


Mutton (Lamb) Stew with potatoes and mushrooms

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes

Serves 4 people (recipe can very easily be expanded)

Ingredients

1/3 cup oil
2 onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1-2 sticks cinnamon broken
2-3 pods cardamom
4-6 cloves
2 tablespoons crushed black pepper
1 lbs lamb, trimmed of fat and cut into cubes ( plus some lamb bones)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1.5 teaspoons salt
2-3 tomatoes, cut into small pieces
1 large potato, cut into small pieces
2 cups water
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup chopped cremini mushrooms
a few dried red chillies

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the oil and add the onions, ginger and saute for 4-5 minutes. The onions should soften, wilt and begin turning lightly golden.
2. Add in the cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, black pepper and lamb.
3. Mix well and add in the salt and turmeric and cook stirring well for a good 10-15 minutes, until the lamb is well browned.
4. Add in the tomatoes and potatoes and the water and bring to a simmer. Cook under pressure for 15 minutes or covered on low heat till the lamb is tender and the gravy is thick. (note, the time here is provided for cooking in a pressure cooker, if you are cooking without one it shall take longer).
5. Cool slightly and remove the cover. Add in the cilantro, mushrooms and the red chillies and cook for another 3-5 minutes and serve.

Ginger and Spinach Pulao -Fragrant Basmati rice cooked with ginger and spinach

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients

1 tablespoon ghee
1 tablespoon oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup basmati rice (soaked for 30 minutes and drained)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
1.5 cups water
2 cups finely chopped baby spinach

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the ghee and oil in a pot.
2. Add the onion, cumin and fennel seeds and cook till the seeds begin to sizzle and the onion is soft and transluscent, this should take about 2-3 minutes.
3. Stir in the salt, rice, turmeric and the red chili powder if you are using this.
4. Mix well and fry the rice for about 2 minutes.
5. Gently add in the water, bring to a simmer and cover and cook for 15 minutes.
6. Remove the cover, stir in the spinach and turn off the heat.
7. Leave covered for 5 minutes prior to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment