Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A book and a Idea

Like most people who enjoy cooking, I too consider reading cookbooks, equivalent to entertainment - especially the chatty talkative one. I like well written food memoirs, and just anything that meshes text with recipes.
However, ever so often you pick up a book and you are consumed with extreme delight, suprise and just feel like that it made your day!
This was just how I felt when I picked up the steamy kitchen cookbook!
What I loved about the book, is that Jaden has very effectively translated feel and character of her website very creatively, into the book. Most cookbooks and other writings that I have read, somtimes loose a little bit of character and become a little formal when converted into a book. But this one, not really! What is really neat is that the recipes while different from what I would consider everyday fare, can be made with most ingredients that I have around, or possibly with just a little variation. Like this shrimp, which I made with some contreau, since I did not have the brandy that she recommends available. Also, I added tomatoes but once again, the simplicity of the original recipe does shine through.


Contreau Coconut Shrimp

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients

1/4 cup of sweetened flaked coconut
2-3 tablespoons oil (I used coconut oil)
1 tablespoon butter (she uses 2)
4-5 pods of garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 pound of shelled wild caught shrimp
1 tomato, cut into eights
2-3 green onions, chopped as shown in the picture
1/4 cup contreau
1/2 teaspoon salt

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the cooking pan and add add the coconut and cook for 1-2 minutes toasting lightly. If you are using sweetened coconut like me, this step needs some care, since it changes from golden to brown in literally seconds.
2. Set this aside and add the oil and the butter and cook till the butter is melted, turn up the heat and add the garlic and the ginger and cook till nice and fragrant.
3. Add the shrimp and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
4. Add the tomato and the ginger and cook for 3-4 minutes until the scallions are wilted.
5. Mix in the contreau and the salt and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
6. Stir in the coconut and serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. Rinku
    I see you are blogging for Liz - my fave former editor- and since you are Westchester blogger, I want to be sure you know about Over the Rainbeau: Living the Dream of Sustainable Farming because you like food memoirs.

    A collaboration among farmer and cheesemaker Lisa Schwartz; her sister, photographer, and farm partner Karen Sabath and me, food writer Judith Hausman, Over the Rainbeau: Living the Dream of Sustainable Farming conveys the romance and challenges of Lisa’s journey from tending a pair of goats to building Rainbeau Ridge, a multifaceted, sustainable farm in Bedford Hills and becoming an award-winning cheesemaker. This inspirational memoir comes to life with tantalizing original and chef-created recipes, aspirational how-to’s and captivating photographs. (see www.rainbeauridge.com for more on the farm, cheese and book, as well as a link to Lisa making cheese with Martha Stewart on her Nov.5 show)

    If you'd like an invite to our media open house at the farm on March 22, let me know. We'd love you to be blogging about the book, the cheese, the restos and the shops Lisa supplies in the area.

    Best,
    Judy Hausman

    ReplyDelete