Friday, November 24, 2006

Parsnips - the new potato

Given what a disprotionately food-dominated holiday thanksgiving is, I am surprised that more blogs are not dominated by thanksgiving stories, recipes, etc. Well, I had a relatively uneventful thanksgiving, I was glad and thankful for the simple blessings of life - yes, the ones that we all take for granted.

Anyhow, my meanderings have recently, got me acquainted with a vegetable called parsnip. Mild and delicate in flavor, this looks a lot like an Albino carrot. It could pass off for a potato. Well, fine, when we have a potato why look for an imposter? Well, we get a little more fiber, a lot more folic acid, calcium and generally it is always good to have options. If all of this does not impress you, let me tell you both Martha Stewart in her new vegetarian book and Rachael Ray, in somewhere had recipes for parsnips ( I know I am really reaching). Well here is what I came up with. Interestingly enough I also discovered that there is a contest called Weekend Herb Blogging, that is actually being hosted by Hallo of Cook Almost Anything atleast once, this week.





Parsnip and Lima Bean Tikki



Ingredients



4 parsnips peeled
1 potato
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp dry fenugreek leaves
3 green chillies finely chopped
2 tsp chat masala
1 tsp ginger powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 lime
1/2 cup lima beans
3-4 tbsp flour
Oil for frying



Method of Preparation.



1. Cut the parsnips into large pieces and boil with the potato for 15 minutes, till soft.
2. Drain the water and mash till fairly smooth. with the buttermilk.
3. Mix in all the remaining ingredients.
4. Shape these into fairly small patties about 3 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick.
5. I have pan fried these on a griddle but you can deep fry them if you so desire.
6. Heat a small amount of oil on a griddle and place 3-4 tikkis on them.
7. Cook for 6-8 minutes on low flame and turn, (they should be well browned on both sides)
Serve with plain beaten yogurt and either ketchup or tamarind chutney.



I make a lot of stews, which is hardly a surprise given that I have 2 young children. A crockpot is a great asset for making good flavorful stews. It is also great since you can through in all the ingredients at night and have a wholesome meal ready for you morning meal even before breakfast. Here is a lamb stew with parsnips made in a crockpot.

Lamb with blackbeans and parsnips.

Ingredients

6 tbsp oil
3 onions finely chopped
2 inch ginger grated
10 cloves of garlic
7 cloves
6 green cardamoms
1 black cardamoms
1 large piece cinamon
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp curry powder
2 lbs stewing lamb
1 tbsp salt
6 tomatoes
4 parsnips
2 carrots
15 small onions
1/2 cup black beans soaked in water
2 cups white wine or broth
1.5 tsp garam masala.
1 cup chopped cilantro

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the oil and add the onions, ginger and garlic and cook for 8 min.
2. Add in the whole spices and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the turmeric, curry powder lamb and salt and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Coarsely blend the tomatoes in a food processor.
5. Chop the parsnips and carrots into large pieces.
6. Add all the ingredients except the cilantro and garam masala in a crockpot and cook for 7 hours on high.
7. If you want to do this on the stovetop, just cover a heavy bottomed pot and cook for 1 hr and check, the meat should be soft and well done.
8. Serve over rice topped with cilantro and garam masala.

5 comments:

  1. They both sound very good. I've never had parsnips cooked like this. I love to make stew in the crockpot too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kalyn,

    Thanks for visiting, I love trying new herbs and vegetables, I think I will enjoy WHB.

    Rinku

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE parsnips and look for different ways to cook them. I will certainly save this recipe. It looks fabulous, as does the other dish. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your recipe of parsnip lima bean tikki. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow, yellow on yellow? How can anyone read this blog. And your font is tiny too!

    ReplyDelete