Sunday, July 22, 2007

Tomatoes and Herbs - Desi Pizza

One of the bounties of summer is of course, amazing wonderful tomatoes! These are so plentiful, enticing you with their rich beautiful color. I have to confess, I love tomatoes all year round and my friend Bob, complains when I buy fresh tomatoes in winter, pointing out how bad that is for our plannet, since they are being transported at some ridiculous cost to the environment (since it takes energy to do this). Well, this is not an agruement that has an easy ending so, for now, I will continue to eat my fresh tomatoes as long as I can afford them of course.

Tomatoes pair beautifully with most herbs, especially in my opinion with basil and cilantro. Here is something interesting that I did with a store-bought un-cooked cheese pizza. I used the "Freschetta" store multi-grain crust.

While the oven pre-heated, I chopped two tomatoes into fairly thick slices. Sprinkle the pizza with cumin seeds (1/2 tsp), crush 1/2 dried red chilli pepper, generously add fresh black pepper. Top with the tomatoes and add 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro.

When the pizza is cooked, spinkle with the juice of half a lime and if you wish 1/2 tsp chat masala.

This was a really simple way to add sparkle to something off the supermarket shelf. I will send this off to WHB, which is being hosted by the chocolate lady, who has some stunning chocolate cookies on her blog.

7 comments:

  1. you can even add paneer , onions, pineapple and mushrooms. sounds great with chaat masala.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i love the indianized version tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice way for a pizza...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey, that must taste yum, what with chaat masala & lemon juice :) speaking of tomatoes, there was a time when i lived on tomato/cheese grilled sandwich for more than a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious and very inventive. I love tomatoes too, and I buy them in the winter once in a while too, so don't feel too guilty.

    ReplyDelete