Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ginger Coconut Chicken Curry with Black Pepper

Yesterday, I picked up some lovely fresh young ginger, I wanted to make something that did justice to this rhizome in its amazingly perfect form. This really was just right, in that it was not too young such that the flavors had not yet developed, but it was not dry and stringy either. So I started with a large piece, peeled and grated it...

Then I looked around the refrigerator and pulled out a few ingredients here and there, added to it a few good spices, this is what emergered.

Ginger Coconut Chicken Curry

Serves 4

Ingredients

3 tbsp oil
1 onion finely chopped
3 tbsp finely grated ginger
A few pieces of cloves, cinamon and cardamom
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 lb chicken cut into medium sized pieces
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup grated coconut
2 tbsp coarsely crushed black peppercorns
2 tsp salt
1/2 can coconut milk

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the oil and add the onion and ginger.
2. Saute for about 5 -7 minutes.
3. Mix in the cloves, cinamon and cardamom, turmeric, chili and the chicken and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes till the chicken in well browned and the oil begins to show.
4. Grind the cilantro and coconut in a food process and mix with the chicken.
5. Add in the salt and peppercorns and cook for 5-7 minutes.
6. Stir in the coconut milk, simmer for 10 minutes and serve with rice.

This recipe goes to Lia at swirling notions, interesting I just update my WHB post with her orange poppy seed recipe.

2 comments:

  1. It does sound really good. I really love fresh ginger, so I know I'd like it! (Plus, there's cilantro!)

    ReplyDelete