Thursday, July 2, 2009

A long long week


This has been a difficult week at work. The stress of things has just been exhausting! These troubled times can be very demanding, I actually think cooking and walking are extremely therapeutic. I am not sure what I would do if I did not have food, in my life. Food nourishes and sustains and cheers in the worst of days.
This fried rice was my first time cooking with really old and left over rice as in rice from a chinese takeout package. I was surprise how well it worked out. This recipe is an indo-chinese variation of fried rice.
Chili-Garlic Fried Rice
Serves 4
Ingredients
4 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup shallots, chopped
1/2 cup scallions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 green chillies minced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
2-3 large shrimp chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
2 cups rice (at least 1 day old, kept for several hours in the refrigerator)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon sriracha
1 teaspoon sugar
Method of Preparation
1. Heat half the oil and stir in the shallots, scallions and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.
2. Beat the eggs and salt.
3. In a seperate pan heat the remaining oil and cook the eggs like omelettes.
4. Cut the eggs into small 1 inch pieces
5. Add the carrots and chillies to the shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add in all the remaining ingrendients and cook till well mixed with the rice. Stir in the eggs and serve.

2 comments:

  1. I often do this kind of recycling.
    yours look delicious!
    Next time when the rice is already cooked, but the daughter demands 'Pulao' for dinner (which she often does and if I comply, the husband calls it spoiling her), will try this out instead of my super simplistic version of fried rice

    ReplyDelete