Friday, April 23, 2010

Homey Satisfying Lentil Stew




So, there are so many variations and definations of good food, one could fill pages with the concepts.


Good food in my world changes and varies with my mood. It is fancy when I have more time and am cooking for several people, good food has a touch of fancy.


Most days however, good food for me is simple, nutritious and comforting. I always think that I am blessed in that I can get a lot of comfort from an everyday chore, something that I have do anyway - cook and feed my family..
Last night, was a friday after a long week, luckily for me I had some interesting fancy rice in the refridgerator, so I need something else to go with it, so here came this stew - yellow moong dal, brocolli, potatoes with a nice spiced drizzle of cumin and lemon.
Homey Satisfying Lentil Stew
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serves 4 people
Ingredients
3/4 cup yellow split moong lentils
3 cups water
2 thinly sliced coins of ginger (taking a ginger root and slicing two pieces)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small potato, peeled and chopped
1 cup of brocolli florrets
1 tomato, chopped
1 -2 green chilies slit
1 teaspoon ghee
1 tablespoon olive or grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 lemon sliced
1-2 teaspoons chopped cilantro
Method of Preparation
1. Heat a cooking pan and dry roast the lentils for about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the water, ginger, turmeric, salt, potato, brocolli and green chili and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are soft, almost mushy and thick.
3. Heat the ghee and the olive and grapeseed oil in a pan and add in the cumin seeds and cook till the cumin browns nicely and smells smoky and toasty.
4. Pour over the lentils and mix in lightly.
5. Remove the seeds, and squeeze in the lemon juice into the lentils.
6. Garnish with the cilantro and serve with rice or bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment