Sunday, February 18, 2007

Hot Chili Peppers


















Hot chili peppers are one of those gifts of nature that you either love of cannot handle. They are fruits of the capsicum family and come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. Not all chili peppers are spicy and they are ranked on the Scoville scale for heat. They reaction on individuals is based on chemistry.

In general however eating chilies result in pain followed by an endorphin high. Well, I like hot green chilies and the red cherry peppers (the later for appearance as much as taste), and, in general I think of finger food when I think spicy.


I will talk about making pakoras, that are these simple but irresistable chickpea flour fritters. In my house making pakoras is like making homemade pizza, every has their preference, my brother likes cauliflower, my husband likes tomato, I like chicken, so you get the picture, anyhow, here are two variations.


The first one is with brocolli and make with large florettes tempura style.


Brocolli Pakoras


Makes 20 pieces


Ingredients


1 cup chick pea flour (besan)
1.5 tsp chat masala
1 tsp salt
3 tsp finely chopped green chilies

2 tsp finely chopped cilantro
3/4 cup water
Oil for frying
20 large brocolli florettes

Method of Preparation

1. Mix the besan, chat masala, salt, chillies, and cilantro in a bowl.
2. Add in the water to form a smooth batter.
3. Heat the oil and test with a drop of the batter, it should spread and rise to the top.
4. Lower the heat (this is important) and gently coat each piece of brocolli in the batter and fry in batches and drain on paper towels and serve with ketchup and ginger tea.


Shrimp and Tomato Pakoras
Makes about 20
Ingredients
1 cup small shrimp shelled and deviened
1 lime
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 tbsp grated ginger and garlic
1 cup besan
1 onion finely chopped 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
2 tsp chopped cilantro
4 chillies finely chopped
20 grape tomatoes halved
1 tsp black salt
2/3 cup water
Oil for frying
Method of Preparation
1. Squeeze the lime over the shrimp and mix with the salt and chili powder and set aside for 20 minutes.
2. Mix all the remaining ingredients except the oil into a thick paste.
3. Drain the shrimp on paper towels and add to the batter.
4. Heat the oil and test as for the brocolli pakoras and reduce to medium high.
5. Add tablespoons of the mixture and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Serve hot.
This is being sent to the Chocolate Lady who is hosting this week's weekend herb blogging. That is quite an iteresting blog that she maintains.



12 comments:

  1. You are right,they have Capsasium,which makes the body pump good things!;D
    I love green chillies,watch out mine on Wednesday!Broccoli Pakoras looks great.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm - I love pakoras!
    I've included this recipe in this week's Semi-Weekly Gluten-Free Roundup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them too, its an indulgence, but once in a while its great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I finally learned what to do so I can leave comments on your blog and others where the comment window won't open up all the way for me, so I just wanted to let you know I have been reading all your WHB posts, just couldn't comment before. Also thanks for the comment about the Bengali Dal my nephew made, it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kalyn,

    Thanks for the visit. I like your blog and the event. It inspires me to try new things, or, sometimes just think differently about items I use all the time.

    Rinku

    ReplyDelete
  6. New and nice. want to try out soon!
    I have made it with cauliflower, but this sounds interesting.
    cheers
    sharmi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharmi,

    Thank you for your visit. I just visited your blog, loved the sponge dosa recipe, I must try it and I shall blog about how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your delicious recipe, could we publish it on our
    Daily Recipe Blog?
    We will put a link back to your page so you get all the credit, also our visitors might go to your site to see more delicious recipes!
    We have every day a new recipe for: General recipes, Breakfast, Low Carb, Low Fat, Desert...
    It would be so great to add yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your recipe for Broccoli Pakora - my garden is giving me lots of broccoli. Love your blog am adding it to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must say this is very creative from you. This is one of my favorites. It actually raises my appetite. If it is served with a glass of tea, I feel myself on top of the world.

    ReplyDelete