Saturday, March 3, 2007

Basil - Pat's Marinara Sauce

I work with Pat who originally
hails from Abruzzi in Italy.
Well, rather, that is where her parents are from. Making marinara sauce is a big deal for them. It is a summertime activity starting with the growing of the tomatoes. She has been extolling the wonders of this sauce for a very long time.
For someone like me, who is used to 20 ingredients in a basic dish, it was dificult to comprehend the beauty and richness of slow cooked tomatoes until I tried it. I have made some tweaks to the recipe since I do not always have tons of fresh tomatoes available, but, I think this marinara is still pretty good. This shall teach me to scoff at the simple beauty of tomatoes and garlic.

This is how I have adaped it. BTW, here is a nice post on making marinara in India

Marinara Sauce

Makes 4 cups

Ingredients

1/3 cup olive oil
1o cloves of garlic minced
1 onion finely chopped
1 large can tomato puree
1 can tomato paste
20 tomatoes blanched and quartered
1 bottle(750 ml) deep red wine (I use about 3/4)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped basil

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the oil and add the garlic and onions and cook till turning golden.
2. All the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
3. Cook on low heat for 2 hours stirring occasionally, using small amounts of the wine to thin the sauce.
4. During the last five minutes add the basil.

This sauce is great on simple pasta but can be a wonderful base for anything you can think of. I sometimes break 3-4 eggs over a small casserole of sauce and bake in the oven for 20 minutes and serve topped with black pepper.


The key ingredient here is basil. This is a herb that I love with tomatoes and in pesto. I make a lighter version of pesto, I shall post someday. I have recently learnt to appreciate its subtle sweet taste and use it in rice dishes and of couse Thai dishes.
WHB is being hosted by Anna at morsels and musings. From what I gather she is recently married. Congratulations!


5 comments:

  1. Ah, you are lucky to have someone from Italy to teach you how to make this. It sounds quite wonderful. Basil is possibly my second favorite herb, and I love to make this type of sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for another variation of suace marinada. With basil!! It´s a favourite. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by. I, too, am learning to appreciate basil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the sauce sounds interesting...basil would definitely be giving a good taste

    -Sushma

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got to try this one. thanks for writing about this Rinku. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete