Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ragi-Rawa Dosas



Dosas are probably a great salvation food, my kids love them, my husband can never get enough of them either. I found them a good way to also get vegetables into my kids food, so yes, more often than not I end up making Oothapams.
This dosa was inspired by this lovely recipe, I actually ran out of ragi flour so this recipe emerged. This is really quite tasty. A touch of lime gently tempers the sweetness of the sweet potatoes, in this recipe. I had some leftover iddlies, that I actually tempered with some spices and couple with sambhar a wholesome meal was born.

Raji-Rawa Dosas - Finger Millet Flour/Semolina Dosa

Serves 6-8 people

Ingredients

1 cup ragi flour (finger millet flour)
1 cup rawa
1/2 cup rice flour
1 sweet potato, cooked and mashed
2 cups buttermilk
1 large onion, thinly chopped
1 cup cilantro leaves
2-3 green chillies, minced
2 tsp salt
1 lime
Oil for frying

Method of Preparation

1. Mix the ragi, rawa and rice flour with the sweet potato and buttermilk.
2. Add some water (upto 3/4 cup) if a thinner batter is desired.
3. Mix in the onion, cilantro and green chillies with salt.
4. Squeeze in the lime juice and let this sit aside for 1-2 hours.
5. Heat a large skillet, test the heat with a drop of water, when this is heated right the water should form a ball and evaporate.
6. Grease the skillet (I use a heavy hard anodized pan to minimize the oil used) and pour the batter in the center, turn the heat on low.
7. Cook for three minutes and then slip some more oil along the sides of the dosa.
8. Cook for one to two more minutes and serve with your favorite chutney.

I am sending this out to the Dosa Mela, being hosted at Cooking 4 all seasons. Am seriously looking forward to the round-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment