Sunday, April 20, 2008

Umami Cafe in Courtland Manor

Recently, I went to this cooking demonstration by some local chefs. Each of these demos actually had raffles, and check this out, I actually win the raffle for Peter Prat's Demo. I mean with these things, I don't even bother to fill in the things because I just never ever win. Looks like everyone has to win sometime. I actually tried two of these restaurants recently, but will start talking about Umami Cafe.

For starters, this place is kid friendly with an interesting menu. About time someone realized that parents with little ones can have discerning tastes too.

Food: They have an extensive menu with lots of Hawanian influenced cuisine, very interesting options such as Cajun Chicken with Bok Choy, the peking duck quesadillas which were amazing. I did order their very hyped truffled Mac and Cheese, the distinctive flavors of the truffles were nice, but the general richness of the mac and cheese was really due an overdose of butter. Well, but this aside their other choices were good. They had a lot of shrimp and seafood options, we actually ate so much. We will have to go back very soon to try the remainder of the menu. I did feel their kids menu lacked imagination, but there were plenty of choices on their regular menu that could be ordered for kids. The other emphasis on the menu was also to work with seasonal ingredients.

Service: The service was very impressive. I was a little concerned that we were going there on a Saturday evening and the place had a no reservation policy. The wait area was very comfortable and it made the 20 minute wait very pleasant. The wait staff very pleasant and very together making the rest of dining experience really enjoyable. I still would not have minded having reservations but I guess that would end up adding a level of formality to the general atmosphere that they were trying to stay away from.

Ambience: A very homey and comfortable atmosphere. It would be a great hit with people who want good food but would like to wear jeans while eating. The furniture was made of solid unfinished wood, large water pitures and nice lively beat to the tables around make this very much a place for good times and laughter.

Wine and Beer: Although they had a decent wine list, what I tried here was the sangria and I felt it was very fruity and complemented the food wonderfully.

On a scale of 5, I would give this place a 4.5. We shall be going back sooon!

No comments:

Post a Comment