Friday, April 11, 2008

My forray with wine

I have been meaning for quite sometime to jot my thoughts on wines that I drink. I shall not even dare to call them tasting notes. I am hardly an expert of any sort, but I will tell you I do love this beverage and spend a lot of time with this love, so why not keep track of this that makes me happy. On a note, since I am rambling I should point to a site, maintained by Natalie, a passionate wino. In particular one should subscribe to her newsletter some I did many moons ago and love reading it whenever I have time.

1. Cotes du Rhone - Domain De La Lyre - F1.rance

I have been having the 2000 wine that is actually a blend of Grenache, Syrah and Carignan grapes. Lately this has been on sale at the local winestore. It is a nice clean red. I think it is in general easy on the palate and has a smooth finish.

2. Pindar - Sweet Scarlett, New York

This is lovely slightly sweet wine. I like this cool but not chilled. As soon as you taste it you are hit with rich vanilla flavors. As this settles down the vanilla is more subtle blending with fruits and spices. Actually a good wine for Indian food.

3. Excelsior - Cabernet Sauvignion, South Africa

A good full bodied red that truly opens up after a while. Well, my first sip, I went - gosh you pay for what you get (this is a very affordable bottle), after 15 minutes, I went not bad. We had guests over about 1 hour later, my husband informs me - good wine! I try it and went gosh -rich smooth, full flavored, lots of fruit and oak! Good thing I paired it with lamb!

4. Doc's Draft Hard Apple Cider, New York

If you are like me and do not like beer this is a lovely solution! Lots of flavors, nice, fruity and sparkly! Perfect for festive brunches and it is local. Try it! I have tried the pear and framboise this far!

5. Augustino's Pinot Noir, Chille

Ok, it must be me, for some reason I think if you like red wine a pino noir is a good fit with Indian food. I brought this home, my husband does not look, tells me that he does not like Pinot Noir's - too thin! I tell him that the word he was looking for is finicky. Well, he tries this and goes - nice but what is this? I tell him not to fuss and enjoy the wine. The wine was good! fruity with herbal overtones, good with tomatoey, spiced chicken such as tikka masala or salmon.

6. Casita Mami - Rosado - Spain

This was a fun and pretty rose wine made with Garnacha grapes. The wine as described is indeed good for festive time. It is dry with a touch of sweetness as has a gentle effervecent quality to it.

7. Santa Isabel - Cabernet Sauvignon, Argentina

A reliable dependable classic. It is in my opinion as good as it gets. I like this with a good lamb curry. It certainly is for good bold flavors, fruity, jammy ripe flavors with a beautiful purple red color.

8. Cedar Grove - Carbernet Sauvignon, California, USA

This one tasted surprisingly different to my palate, very smooth, fully of vanilla flavors and less chewy than what I normally expect from a Cabernet Sav. A very versatile wine that is good for company and or a quiet night just by oneself.

9. Tin Roof Rose - California, USA

This was recommended by the local wine store guy and I loved the refreshing crisp lightness of this wine. We had this with chicken and eggplant and I think this shall be gracing my table more through this summer.

10. May Wine - Brotherhood Winery, New York, USA

A sweet deep rose/light red kind of wine. A big plus with all the local buffs, actually I know a couple of people who live along the NY wine trail. I later realized that the color was really from strawberry juice, making this a perfect summer wine. This is just great chilled. Works very well with spicy food.

11. Black Dirt Red - Warwick Winery, New York

I had first tried this wine last year at the farmers market. It is interesting, I picked this up at the store without the sales pitch and was very pleasantly surprised by the smooth taste of this Baco Noir. A good wine is a good wine! Your taste buds tell you so! This is a sophisticated, yet fruity wine.

12. Cabernet Franc, Warwick Winery, New York

Yes, this winery has gotten itself a fan, liked the Cab Franc too. A tiny bit of bite, nice fruity notes, we liked it with lamb.

13. Chenin Blanc - Fleur De Cap, South Africa

A crisp tasting lightly fruity wine. It goes well with lighter flavors, worked nicely with a salad that I had made, I would caution against using with terribly spicy creations.

14. Gewurtztraminer - Chateau Ste Michelle, Columbia Valley

A nice sweet, mellow wine, citrus paired with spicy overtones. A very food friendly wine, works well with spicy food as well as wine and fruit pairings.

15. Concha Y Toro 2008 Chardonnay Casillero del Diablo Reserve Chile

This wine is a drier white wine. I am actually putting this down in my list of wines, based more on what my white wine loving friends liked. Most people gave this a big thumbs up, felt that the crisp, clean notes of this wine worked well with lightly spiced offerings.

16. Pinot Noir - Brotherhood Winery, New York

It is difficult to fault this medium bodied red wine. I personally feel that a Pinot Noir is a very good choice when you are not sure of the drinking flavors of your guests. This wine is ruby colored, lightly spiced with some hint of tea and spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment