Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Chutney Mary!





Well! Well! Well! Look what I found last week at the farmers market. I pretty much have now settled for the Pleasantville market. I see this interesting Chutney Stand, made by a lady who hails from, you guessed it -India.
I liked all her products, but this fiery mint concoction seemed really good. I picked this up at $7.50 with these lovely eggplants that were priced at $4.50 a quart. I also got a lovely bunch of green onions at and a fresh head of garlic and came home and paired this with some feta cheese and fresh tomatoes from my neighbours garden to make this lovely dish.
Minted Garlic Eggplant
Served 4
Ingredients
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion thinly chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tomato sliced
4 small eggplants, sliced
1 tsp salt (optional)
2 tbsp mint chutney
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Method of Preparation
1. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds.
2. When this begins to sizzle, add the onion and garlic and saute briefly.
3. Add the tomato and eggplant and chutney and the salt if using and coat well.
4. Cover and cook on very low heat for 15-17 minutes till the eggplant is soft and fairly mushy.
5. Stir in the feta cheese and serve with some crusty bread.



No comments:

Post a Comment