Sunday, September 14, 2008

Weekend, New Restaurant, etc










What a crazy week, Deepta started Kindergarten. Was not sure what to do about Mr. Daddy's birthday (yes, this is what the kids have taken to calling him!). Initially, I thought I would try to spend sometime at the beach and try Seaside Johnny's, well when I went for a haircut yesterday Rose told me that we would have thunderstorms, so I thought of plan B. An Indian buffet with some South Indian options works well, we tried Jaipore today.


My standards for Indian food, I hope are a little more discerning than some, I have to confess I was very pleasantly pleased. I have tried the restaurant before and have always liked the ambience, it is reminicent of the old colonial style construction found in Indian cities like Kolkatta.
They had a great variety of appetizers. In partcular, they had done a very good job with the Alu tikkies - Indian potato patties. This had an interestingly crispy outside, which I think I shall have to play around with to get. The phuchka's, little puffed crisps that are usually filled with potatoes and tangy broth and popped into the mouth whole, were a little stale. Otherwise the menu of great, with an interesting variety the food was not spoilt by an inordinate amount of grease and cream that seem to mark so many Indian restaurants. The tandoori chicken was well marinated and flavorful and moist. A surprising entree was pongal that is Indian comfort food at its best.
The desserts were not cloyingly sweet overall a much appreciated dining experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment