Friday, July 23, 2010

All in a day's work

Now much as I liked the movie Julie and Julia, like everything else that tends to get attention, it also fosters stereotypes. The stereotype that I do not like, is that everyone who loves their blog has/hates their dead end day job.

Why does that have to be the case, food - loving, creating and living (OK obsessing for food) can be an amazing hobby just like anything else. True, we food bloggers tend to be a little more accessible to the public.

Well, I do not want to wax poetic about the veggies of the week, I just want to share another quick and blissful success. This week it was a fresh tender eggplant paired with a mild and sweet yellow bell pepper, tomatoes and a light touch of garlic and spices. Bliss and tenderness all in one.

Eggplant with bell peppers and tomatoes

Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time 15  minutes

Serves 3-4 people

Ingredients

1/4 cup oil (olive or grape seed)
1 teaspoon roughly bruised cumin seeds
1 teaspoon grated ginger
5 pods of garlic, finely chopped
1 medium eggplant, (about 2 cups) cut into 2 inch pieces
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 yellow bell peppers, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 ripe tomato, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro

Method of Preparation

1, Heat the oil and add the the cumin, ginger and garlic and cook lightly until the garlic is very pale golden.
2. Add the eggplant and shake the turmeric over the eggplant and cook for about 8-9 minutes, stirring well. The eggplant lightly browns, softens and finally turns soft and moist.
2. Add in the pepper and tomatoes and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the pepper softens and the tomato tums, soft and clings to the eggplant.
3. Mix in the salt and red pepper flakes and stir well and cook for a minute.
4. Stir in the cilantro and serve.

BTW, my secret dream might not be to be Julia Child, but I have my own dream, where my children are civilized and I have an unlimited budget to remodel my house. I would start with a dinnette for my kitchen. Yes, even before the dining room, the kitchen is my priority.

2 comments:

  1. Great dish, Rinku. Yes, I, too, would love an unlimited budget to remodel my kitchen!

    Phyllis, aka sweetpaprika.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. tried this dish its awesome thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete