Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Trying Spain - Tapas

I could truly truly, use a vacation! I realize that every working mother, ok every mother feels that way, particularly at this late hour when you truly wonder where the day disappeared. I have tried to call my mother several times this evening and have ended up with an international recording. I cannot absolutely cannot help feeling that that is a double whammy! Well, I shall have mom thinking I did not try calling her and frankly here I am hoping I could connect with her.

Anyhow, since I could not take a vacation, I did try to move a little further trying my hand at a cuisine a little further away. I have actually never, tried cooking tapas. I had for the longest time thought that tapas, was the Spanish version of appetizers. Well, I found out at least per this article, that the singular form is tapa and unlike say Dim Sum in the Chinese parlance, tapas could be small portions of anything.

Anyhow, I have been indulging on the wonderful book - Tapas - A taste of Spain in America (via an Indian kitchen?)

Given how much we love garlic and I love potatoes, we began our journey with two a few delectable classics. The first of which being Potato Bravas.

Well, the best surprise in preparing this one, was actually prepping the allioli sauce, the book actually offers two, options, on a very rare whim I actually prepared the traditional version.

Allioli a la Catalana
Traditional garlic and oil sauce

Makes about 1 cup
(Note: I halved the recipe for us)

Ingredients

1/2 teaspoon salt
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (I used a half lemon)
1 cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil

Method of Preparation

1. Shake the salt on the bottom of a mortar bowl.
2. Place the garlic cloves and crush coarsely (the salt prevents the garlic from slipping).
3. Squeeze in the lemon juice and grind well.
4. Add in the oil, about 1 teaspoon at a time turning the pestle in a slow continuous motion, mixing the oil well each time. Continue doing this, until all the oil is used up and the mixture is a buttery yellow spread. This process takes about 15-20 minutes, but the dense, rich, flavorful sauce is worth the effort.

Potatoes Bravas
Fried Potatoes with allioli and spice sauce
Serves 4

For the Brava Sauce

4 ripe tomatoes
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon Spanish paprika
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
Salt to taste

For the Potatoes

2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound Idaho potatoes
Salt to taste
4 teaspoons allioli
1 teaspoon finely chopped chives

Method of Preparation

1. Strain and create tomato puree
2. Cook till thick and brown.

We also enjoyed Gambas al ajillo, Traditional Garlic Shrimp (I threw in some thinly sliced garden zucchini that blended wonderfully into the basic recipe)

Ingredients

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 garlic cloves
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
20 large shrimp (peeled and deviened, tail on)
1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (my addition)
1 teaspoon brandy
1 teaspoon chopped parsley (I used cilantro)
salt to taste
I added 1/2 a lime

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the oil in a medium sized pan and add the garlic and cook till pale brown (about 2 minutes)
2. Add in the zucchini and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add in the shrimp and cook for 1-2 minutes.
4. Pour in the brandy and cook for 1-2 minutes.
5. Squeeze in the lime juice, garnish with cilantro/parsley and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool. Nice recipe. YUM!... Nice try....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love all the food that post. What I love the most is the recipe with shrimp. It looks very yummy. I love seafood so much especially shrimps.

    ReplyDelete