Tuesday, January 25, 2011

End of the Week Cracked Wheat Pilaf

This simple and reasonably healtht effort is the result of my visits to Shiraz Grocery is that I end up picking up stuff, all sorts of stuff - pistachios, saffrons, dried fruit, tea and even odds and ends.
Yes, Mr Shiraz man and I are now good buddies, he always offers me persian recipe tips and in turn I tell him how to Indianize things so we have a happy relationship. He was even concerned about my coping with the cold weather given than we do not have such cold weather in India. Now, that is concern about a customer! Anyhow I digress...

Among all this good stuff that I have been picking up from him, I have also been picking up fine cracked wheat. I think that this makes a really good rice substitute. I made a cracked wheat pilaf in class last Sunday, with carrots (frozen from our garden), pistachios, red onions and mint and cilantro. Quick to make, very satisfying and healthy. We actually had a lot left over so, we had some for dinner last night. So here is how to make it.
Cracked Wheat Pilaf with Herbs and Vegetables

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients

2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 small red onion, chopped
3/4 cup fresh or frozed diced carrots
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 cup fine cracked wheat
2 cups water
1 teaspoon powdered mint
1/2 cup shelled pistachios
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 lemon, halved and seeded

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the oil and add in the cumin seeds and wait for them to sizzle.
2. Add in the red onion and saute for about 3-4 minutes until soft and wilted.
3. Add in the carrots and bell peppers and stir well.
4. Mix in the salt and red chili powder and the cracked wheat and stir well.
5. Add in the water and bring to a boil.
6. Add in the mint and cover and cook for about 8-9 minutes until the water is absorbed and the mixture is fluffy and soft much like couscous.
7. Stir in the pistachios and the cilantro.
8. Squeeze in the lemon juice and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love wheat pilaf, but I never tried it with pistachios. But given the fact that I love pistachio, I guess it’s nothing wrong with this recipe. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by. I love nuts but pistachios in particular because of their bright vivid color.

    ReplyDelete