Monday, September 4, 2006

Bhatura - Leavened Fried Bread

Anshul's Surprise Birthday Party!

Boy! It is exhausting to have the children around for a three day weekend. This weekend my cooking highlight was actually doing Anshul's suprise birthday party. The food turned out really great. I made Mutton Pulao/Birayani, on that note I often wonder what the major difference is between Birayani and Pulao. This is an interesting piece on the difference. I myself love this intensely satifying dish.
Other than that I had mixed dal ghugni, dahi vadas, chicken malai kababs, papri chaat, alu dum and luchis.
Something funny happened to the luchis, I left them outside to hide them from Anshul and what I ended up with was Bhaturas, which actually turned out to be a great hit.

Bhatura (Leavened Deep-Fried Bread)

Makes 14-18

2 cups white flour
1 cup semolina
2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp salt
1 cup yogurt
Extra flour for dusting
Oil for Frying

Method of Preparation

1. Mix together all the ingredients and extra water as needed to make a soft pliable dough.
2. Set the dough aside to rise for several hours.
3. Knead this again and then with the extra flour roll this into circles of about 4" diameter.
4. Heat the oil in the Karahai and gently fry till puffed and golden.
5. Serve hot with channa or Dal.

No comments:

Post a Comment