Tuesday, September 19, 2006

All about Shrimp Paste

All About Shrimp Paste

Until yesterday, I assumed shrimp paste was always this solid block of dried, salted processed shrimp. This is an essential ingredient in most Asian cooking - Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian, etc.
Natalie tells me about this liquid product that she got called shrimp paste that prompted me to look about the varieties of Shrimp Paste.

My first hit was Wikipedia, that is such an useful resource, this is their piece on Shrimp Paste. Now, that I confirmed my hypothesis that shrimp paste varies somewhat depending on the country of origin, the issue still remained as the composition and texture, was there a more liquid version of shrimp paste?

Well, here is a little piece from another well illustrated food-blog, that also groups the varieties into a combined group. I suppose since this references us back to Wikipedia, that is really a good source on this.


No comments:

Post a Comment