Thursday, September 25, 2008

Roasted Corn and Spicy Chicken Stew






The farmers markets are still going strong at least in in Pleasantville.

This summer one of the events that I had gotten interest in was a local contest called, "locally grown." Possibly my greatest delight was actually that through this and other general awareness, I have gotten increasingly aware of how nice and relatively simple it is to work with local produce. In general I get a break from the mundane when I shop for things that clearly look much nicer than most supermarkets.

The past week, I picked up tomatillos, jallepenos, chicken, onions, parsely and cilantro among other things. I made this a mid-week stew in a flash in the pressure cooker.

3 comments:

  1. Have you heard of the 100 mile diet. A couple in Vancouver started it. Every time we shop local we reduce the carbon footprint involved in transporting food. BTW, we do enjoy catching our fish,my husband is from Bangladesh and loves fishing, I on the other hand am from Lucknow but love seeing whales and other marine life which we encounter frequently in the Pacific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bulbul,

    I am so impressed hearing about your fishing interests. I do my little thing here and there about the carbon footprint, but actually think every little bit helps!
    My children's father is from UP while I am a bengali, from Kolkatta. As you can see there is a proliferation of fish and seafood recipe although a lot of my cooking is to save time and get somthing nutritous on the table.

    Rinku

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup looks like it was a great way to use all that fresh, farmer's market produce :). I would love to include your recipe in our pre-loaded Demy, the first and only digital recipe reader. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if you're interested.


    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete