Saturday, September 20, 2008

Welcoming Fall!


Blackberry Chutney, originally uploaded by brinku11.

For several reasons this has been a difficult summer for me. I am looking forward to Fall. I love the season, the beauty, the crisp fall air and everything else. One can see little vestiges of color peeking out of the green.

Yesterday, I picked a decent handful of the fading black berries in my garden. On a whim I cooked them very lightly in a bengali style chutney, just wonderful!. I tried them on lightly poached salmon and I think a star is born.

Blackberry Chutney

Makes 1 cup

Ingredients

1 tbsp mustard oil
1/2 tsp panch phoron (bengali 5-spice powder)
2 crushed dried red chillies
1 cup fresh blackberries
4 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 lemon

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the oil and add the panch phoron and the red chillies.
2. When the spices crackle add the blackberries and stir in well.
3. Add the sugar salt and squeeze in the juice of the lemon.
4. Let the juice flow from the berries and simmer lightly. Cook for 3-4 minutes till the sugar is disolved but the berries are still somewhat whole.

6 comments:

  1. omg what a lovely colour!...looks great

    ReplyDelete
  2. chatpatti chutney, really nice. nice blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a lovely color for the chutney! Must have tasted delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the wonderful idea. Lately everytime I have taken my dog for a walk I kick myself for not bringing a pail with me for blackberries. Luckily I remembered to this Sunday. A warm afternoon with just a slight autumn nip in the air and a dog who loves dawdling all came together in two bucketfuls of sinfully sweet blackberries. I froze some for porridge and was wondering what to do with the rest..well now I know. Thanks, love your recipes and ideas. Living on the west coast of Canada we catch our years supple of salmon and halibut and new ideas are always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for visiting, I loved the color too!

    Bulbul, how lucky for you that you can catch your own fish, with such fresh catch anything would taste great.

    Blackberries work well as smoothies in a lassi too!

    ReplyDelete