Monday, December 15, 2008

Indoor Farmers Market??


Despite my promises to the contrary, I stayed up pretty late tonight. I had this project I have been exhausting myself with, I am finally at I point where I just think, I have so had it, it is about 80% done, I cannot figure out the remaining 20% and it is time someone helped me with it. So it is getting submitted as it.

Now, yesterday I went to check out this indoor farmers market. The idea sounds really strange. Well, it was different, I did pick up some good lamb, chicken, eggs and absolutely out of this world yogurt. The produce was really flimsy... I did get some good mushrooms. So I made this chicken which was amazingly good, nothing like some butter and good simple spices.
Kumbh Murg Karai - Chicken with mushrooms
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 cloves garlic minced
2 tsp powdered cumin-coriander
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 onion coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 lb boneless skinned chicken (cut into small pieces)
1 cup musrooms thickly sliced
1 tsp saffron
3-4 tsp chopped cilantro
Method of Preparation
1. Heat the oil and butter and add the cumin and garlic.
2. Cook for a minute stirring frequently, add the spices onions, scallions and chicken and cook on medium high heat for 15 minutes till the chicken in well browned.
3. Add in the mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes till the mushrooms are well sauted but not wilted.
4. Mix in the saffron and cilantro. Keep covered for 5 minutes to let the flavors settle together.
5. Serve with orzo or rice.

1 comment: