Monday, April 20, 2009

Cauliflower with ginger and fenugreek




OMG! looking at the monsoon outside, who would think spring was almost here this weekend!

What a perfectly clear day! We went to the teatown lake's Earth Day, hikathon! I tried to be good over the weekend, did not use plastic bags, drank lots of NY wine and cooked mostly vegetarian food.


Actually the recipe, I am posting was done earlier in the week a somewhat different variation of my usual cauliflower, with a touch of dried fenugreek. It is quite amazing how much flavor this adds to the dish!

Outside of things, I paid homage to Sparkles the clown and prepped for my kids birthday party next week!

Cauliflower with ginger and fenugreek

Prep Time: 7 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Serves 4

Method of Preparation

3/4 head of a cauliflower

2 potatoes

3 tomatoes

2-3 tablespoons sour cream

2-3 green chillies

3-4 tablespoons oil

1 teaspoon cumin seeds

1 tablespoon grated ginger

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder

1/2 cup green peas

1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves

Method of Preparation

1. Cut the cauliflower into medium sized pieces and peel and cut the potatoes.

2. In a blender puree the tomatoes and sour cream.

3. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds and grated ginger, followed by the potatoes.

4. Stir well and mix in the turmeric and salt. Cover and cook the potatoes till almost done. This takes about 7 minutes.

5. Add in the cauliflower and the tomato puree and peas and cumin-coriander powder, mix well and cover and cook till the cauliflower is cooked. Stir in the dried fenugreek and cook for 2 more minutes and serve.




3 comments:

  1. Mmmm....this sounds & looks great!
    Even when I hated anything vegetarian, during my growing up years, Cauliflower was something I LOVED!!
    Have you tried Cauliflower with Mouri (Fennel seed) phoron? I love the taste....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect this to be a hit as ginger and fenugreek are my favourite spices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharmista,

    Yes, I love cauliflower too, I have not tried this mouri phoron, do you grind the mouri?

    Cosmic,

    I love them too.

    Rinku

    ReplyDelete