Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Cilantro Paneer and Potatoes

IMGP3143
I made this awfully simple dish, but was quite blown away with how flavorful it had turned out! It was inspired by a similar dish I had tasted at my friend Vivek's house but the gingery overtones were just a little bolder in this dish. See somehow I think different people handle and percieve spices differently, this is why recipes end up tasting different from person to person. By this I mean the tiny nuances that cannot be camputured irrespective of how specific a recipe is. A small illustration is that my househelper often assists me with chopping veggies, I tell her to chop onion finely, what I end up with is medium fine in my opinion. Now, with ginger it ends up being the other way around she always grated this using the fine blade of the grater I end up using the coarser side.

Anyhow, here is how I made this dish, tastes fresh and light, works well with simple white rice.

Cilantro Paneer and Potatoes

Serves 4

Ingredients

2-3 tbsp oil
3/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp grated ginger
1 onion finely chopped
1 cup cubed paneer or tofu
1 potato, parboiled, peeled and cubed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
1 cup cilantro leaves
1 green chilly
1 tomato
1 tsp garam masala

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds and let this cook briefly for a few seconds.
2. Add the ginger and onions and saute for 1-2 minutes.
3. Mix in the paneer and potato with the salt and cumin-coriander powder and cook for another couple of minutes.
4. Grind the cilantro, green chilli and tomato in a blender with about 1/4 cup water.
5. Pour this over the paneer and potato mixture and cook for about 5 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with garam masala and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Just stumbled across your blog..

    this recipe looks really delicious! I'm gonna try sometime!

    ReplyDelete