Thursday, May 14, 2009

Chicken Tikka - Tandoori Spice Marinated Chicken


Ever had one of those mornings when you just did not want to get out of bed, or actually you get out of bed but then want to kind of progress about doing everything else in this super slow and lazy manner. Maybe it's the rainy weather we have been blessed with most of spring, (I am one of those few people who actually do not mind the rain, although I love the spring sunshine, too!), or maybe it's just keeping up with the early mornings that I end up with keeping tandem with my son.


Speaking of my son, his new favorite recipe is what he calls red lemon chicken - this is nothing other than the bright red tandoori chicken one finds in Indian restaurants our neck of the woods. I make this at home with my own mixture, the color is unfortunately not quite as bright as he would like however he is usually happy since I usually make chicken tikka ( boneless tandoori chicken) and he gets extra-lime that he gets to squeeze himself. While the kids does not share our late sleeping habbits, he does inherit our love for garlic and lime/lemon.
Here is how I do this,
Chicken Tikka
Serves 4-6
Prep Time - 4 hours
Cook Time - 25 minutes
Ingredients
1 cup low-fat yogurt
1 large piece (about 1 inch piece peeled)
3 cloves of garlic
2-3 green chillies
1 tomato
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) (optional)
4 tablespoons tandoori masala (see recipe)
2 teaspoons salt
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Cooking oil or spray
To garnish
Sliced onions
Sumac
Lemon or Lime Wedges
Method of Preparation
1. Place the yogurt, ginger, garlic, chillies, tomato, fenugreek, tandoori masala and salt in a blender and grind into a paste.
2. Mix with the chicken and tandoori marinade prepared above and set aside for 2-3 hours to marinade (the flavors improves with longer marination).
3. Skewer the chicken onto bamboo skewers.
4. Place a grill pan on the the stove (this is what I use on weeknights, a regular grill or broiling works well as well) and spray evenly with the cooking spray.
5. Place the chicken on the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes and turn (the chicken should have golden brown spots across the chicken.
6. Cook for another 5-7 minutes.
7. Add in the sliced onions and toss for 2-3 minutes till the onions are slightly sauteed.
8. Sprinkle with sumac and serve with lemon or lime
Here is how I do it,
Tandoori Masala
Makes 3/4 cup
Ingredients
3 tablespoons coriander seeds
3 tablespoons cumin seeds
4 dried red chillies (optional)
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon carom seeds
2-3 sticks cinnamon
10 cloves
10 cardamoms
Method of Preparation
1. Lightly toast the spices for 2 minutes.
2. Grind to a powder in the spice mill or coffee grinder.
3. Use as needed.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Your shot makes me drool :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That look lovely. Thanks for the Tandoori recipe, I'm a lot more cautious with the cloves than you, but I will try your recipe soon. I too, don't use red colouring, although I have some in my cupboard, I've never tried using it. So mine is much paler than that found in restaurants. Lovely to hear you are a 'slug-a-bed' like me. We are approaching winter and while it doesn't get very cold, some mornings are just too dreary to wake up to.

    ReplyDelete