Monday, May 4, 2009

A plug for my local Indian Grocer




When you own a fairly large ethnic grocery store about 15 miles the closest comparable store, you pretty much have a monopoly market. This often results in poor quality, higher prices and a lack of creativity. This really is not the case with Bhavik Grocery located in Elmford, NY on Rte 119. The store moved to its current location last year - a much larger, spacious location. I have to confess that he might have done some adjustments in pricing to account for the enhanced rent, but overall you will love shopping in the more roomier space. This past weekend I went with my daughter to replenish my supplies, I bought her mango ice cream and got myself some of the spice tea while shopping. His store offers a good selection of spices as well as an interesting selection such as green bananas, green mangoes, ethnic squashes and a huge assortment of chutneys, flours and spices. On most days, along with the staff you will find family members vigilantly making sure that your needs are met - usually the owner Mr. Sanchala or his wife or even his charming father.

His store offers a good selection of spices as well as an interesting selection such as green bananas, green mangoes, ethnic squashes and a huge assortment of chutneys, flours and spices.













I collected most of the things that I needed, I was out of red chillies, curry leaves, lentils and tamarind. I then wanted my daughter to experiment so I asked her to pick something different. She thought some and then decided to get a pretty young green bottle gourd.
I brought that home and cooked this with lentils in a thick puree. I add in some raisins for good measure. We all liked it include her brother - Mr fussy!
If you do not have the bottle gourd (lau) available, you can substitute it with young zucchini.

Lau Makha - Thick and creamy lentil and bottle gourd puree
Serves 6
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients
1 small and tender bottle gourd (about 3/4 lbs)
1 cup yellow moong lentils
1 tomato finely chopped
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ghee
1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji or kalo jira)
1 teaspoon grated ginger
2 dried red chillies
1 tablespoon raisins
Method of Preparation
1. Peel and grate the bottle gourd.
2. Place the bottle gourd with the lentils and tomatoes in a pressure cooker.
3. Mix in the turmeric and salt and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Cool and remove the lid, you should have a smooth thick lentil puree.
5. Heat the ghee and add the nigella seeds and wait till the seeds sizzle.
6. Add in the ginger and the red chillies and saute for 1-2 minutes.
7. Mix in the lentils and raisins and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. How lucky to have a store close by. I have to wait until I make the trip to visit my daughter - 5 hours drive each way. So I stock up on spices and groceries then. Getting fresh means I have to try to grow many but some are not suitable to my cool climate. Do you get fresh tamarind or paste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh Cosmic, you are quick. I tend to get tamarind paste (unsweetened). Have you tried online options? Also, several spices can be interchanged but it is dificult to completely work without things like ginger, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't tried online. Because we live on an island postage is often too expensive. I can always send my son in law shopping for me though. Can you give me a good blend for tandoori spices? They do seem to vary too much when I buy them ready mixed and I prefer to blend my own anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cosmic,

    You inspired me, I made tandoori chicken tonight. I shall try my best to post this week. I have a recipe sitting in the draft, just need to get that out of the way.

    BTW, tell me are you a fan of Australian wine?

    Rinku

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are great lovers of Australian wines. Most years in winter we try to go on a wine holiday to different regions. We tend to buy ones that are not available in retail outlets. Last year we went to South Australia and found some lovely ones. This winter we are tring to decide whether to go the Clare Valley or the Hunter Valley. Each have different styles of wine.

    ReplyDelete