Sunday, May 31, 2009

Intensely Tomato Pasta!








Well, it has been a busy few days, I had not really been feeling too good the last couple of days.
Deepta's dance classes and her upcoming performance is begining to take a life of its own - make that, take my life of its own! Between practices, dressing and calming down the younger one's esteem issue's to make it fit, it has been quite a project! I actually had quite a dinner success yesterday!
There had been this recipe that I had been mentally bookmarking. My kids love tomatoes, so I knew this one was a possibility. I did know that it would not work in its undercooked form form for the mini food critiques. I also had dry sun-dried tomatoes, and not ones packed in oil. So here is how I made the tripple tomato base, which I made a double recipe of and added cilantro, since I cannot live without it!

Tripple Tomato Base
Makes 2 cups
Ingredients
4 stem-ripened fresh tomatoes
8 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup soaked sun-dried tomatoes
10 basil leaves
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
Pasta
8 oz dried rigatoni
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup whole or 2 percent milk
Method of Preparation


1. Coarsely chop the tomatoes and place in a blender with the tomato paste and blend into a puree.
2. Add the sun-dried tomatoes with about 2-3 tablespoons of the soaking liquid and the basil and cilantro and salt and blend into a thick dense puree.
3. Cook the pasta (I used rigatonni) according to directions and set aside.
4. Heat the oil and pasta and add about 3/4 cup of the prepared paste.
5. Add in the sugar and the milk and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Mix in the pasta and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Kids loved it! Thanks Dara!
Now some weekends you get really lucky with the food!
Twitter is something I am still trying
to make sense of, anyhow I chanced on this random tweet @small bites, by none other that Liz herself. I have been making soft boiled eggs most days since she started school (last year) for breakfast, this weekend I tried the 8 minutes of cooking followed by the ice water dunking, I then had to peek inside the edd to see if it worked - sure enough perfect yolk!. I told Deepta that these were crater egg and topped it with some cheese to help her get over the shock of her broken egg.
Here's to a lovely week!

1 comment:

  1. Wow yummy pasta.. :) good one seriously.

    First time to ur blog and your space is really nice and interesting. keep it going. should be here back and forth.

    ReplyDelete