Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Masala Kala Chana - Black pepper crusted spicy chicpeas


The previous post and the next couple of posts pretty much, keep building on each other. This is very much the way I cook on an everyday basis. I have over the months tried to get to a point where I can put together a good meal most evenings without a huge to-do. I would love to spend hours in the kitchen but I have learnt that doing this actually takes away from the little time that I have on weekdays to spend with the kids. I have to also confess I am quite addicted to the night-time reading habbit that Aadi and I have together, it shall be harder for me to break out of than for him to grow out of, such are the ironies of life.

Masala Kala Chana - Black pepper crusted spicy chickpeas

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves 4-6 people

Ingredients
2-3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
1 onion, cut into a dice
4 tablespoons cumin-coriander ginger garlic paste
1.5 cups of cooked dark chickpeas (these chickpeas have a dark brown skin and are sold in Indian stores with the label - Kala chana)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon blackpeppercorns ground to a powder

To garnish

1-2 limes
1 small onion cut into slices
Lots of freshly chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon chaat masala

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds and wait for them to sizzle (takes a few seconds).
2. Add in the onions and saute for 5-7 minutes, until the onions soften and begin to turn light golden. The mixture is very aromatic at this time.
3. Add in the cumin-coriander ginger garlic paste and saute for about 2-3 minutes, the paste should dry up slightly get well mixed into the onion mixture and smell fragrant.
4. Add in the salt and the chickpeas and mix well for 1-2 minutes.
5. Mix in the blackpepper and gently stir the mixture for another 2-3 minutes, the chickpeas should be fairly dry and evenly coated with the spice mixture.
6. Squeeze in the lime juice and place the chickpeas in a serving bowl.
7. Add in the onions, cilantro and the chat masala and serve.

Ps. I like to reserve about 3/4 cup of these chickpeas for my spicy chick pea salad, that I shall post next.

1 comment: