Thursday, August 12, 2010

Spicy Shrimp Curry with Bell Peppers

This week it was fresh peppers, a nice collection of them, fresh green and bursting with their sweetly intoxicating flavor. I was amazingly spice adverse growing up, and by most Indian standards I think my touch is still gentle with the use of spices. Anyhow,  I loved the bell pepers because they have the fresh flavors of the green chili, without the heat. It has been a long time since I have found peppers with such amazing flavor, until of course we started growing them.
This recipe is simple but is high on the spice index.

Spicy Shrimp Curry with Bell Peppers

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes 2-3 servings

Ingredients

1/4 cup of grapeseed oil
1 small onion, very finely chopped
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
2 fresh small red tomatoes, cut into eights
1 small onion, cut into eights and separated
1 large or 2 small bell peppers cut into a dice to match the onions
1 teaspoon salt
1 pound of large shrimp, shelled and deveined

Method of Preparation

1. Heat the oil and cook the chopped onion on low heat for about 6-7 minutes, until the onion is soft and begining to turn golden.
2. Add in the ginger, turmeric, black pepper, fenugreek leaves and the tomatoes and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the tomatoes soften and release their juices but are not mushy.
3. Add in the onions, peppers and salt and stir well and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in the shrimp and simmer for 6 minutes until the shrimp is cooked through.

I have actually been cooking up several wonderful recipes (at least that is what we think, I have been unable to keep up posting them). I do hope I remember and can post them when I have time. More a matter of remembering how I cooked them, rather than remembering to post them. Although the later happens too!

No comments:

Post a Comment