Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A nice dark beauty!

I had been meaning to try this dish out for a while, when I saw this recipe, I was even further encouraged. Well this was an amazingly luscious sauce, but it takes a lot of time. Well, Katie said she tinkered with the recipe, I tinkered some more, but generally was pretty good, by my standards. This is how I did it.

Ingredients
To marinate
1 whole chicken skinned and jointed ( I just cannot use skin other than with roast chicken)
1 tsp rosemary
3 carrots thickly sliced
2 tsp salt
1 bottle wine (I used a modest burgundy)
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped parsely
6 cloves garlic
A few bay leaves

For the finishing sauce
3 tbsp butter
6 shallots thickly sliced
10 oz button mushrooms thickly sliced
2 zuchinis thickly sliced with the skin (Hey, that's pretty french)
1.5 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp cornstarch

Method of preparation
1. Soak the chicken in the marinade overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Cook for 1 hour on a simmer the next day.
3. Cool, slightly and remove the chicken.
4.Strain the sauce.
5. Put a half cup aside and disolve the cocoa and cornstarch.
6. Melt the butter, add the shallots and cook till turning golden (this takes about 15 minutes.)
7. Add the mushrooms and zucchini and cook for another 5 minutes.
8. Add the strained sauce and bring to a boil, mix in the cocoa mixture and add the chicken.
9. Cook for 7 minutes till thickened.
10. Serve with anything that will absorb this wonderful sauce.

Well, since this is the result of patrolling other blogs and is from France at some point of time, I am sending this off for an interesting event being hosted by Coffee who actually is encoraging folks to blog partrol.
This is an incredible busy time and since my doctor has ordered "off the feet for a few more days" I am double dipping and sending this off to David Lebovitz for Sugar High Friday. I used Ghiradelli. I actually am not much of a chocolate person, I do white chocolate, I do not think that really counts, but I did read David's chocolate book, since I like reading cookbooks.






1 comment:

  1. My MY!!!!! A dark beauty indeed!!!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful dish rinku!!!!!! Lovely entry!!!!

    ReplyDelete