Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Thinking Winter



















I have to tell you this season is one of those mixed blessing seasons, I do not like to deal with ice, although we have been lucky thus far in New York, around February the bare trees start bothering me, but, I do like drinking good hot tea especially in winter, love soups, love all warm flavors, and along with my tea I like snacking. I was thinking of these amazing snacklets that someone I worked with called Nivedita had once made for a potluck. She has currently formed an organization called RagaChitra, where she teaches children BharatNatyam and Indian classical music.
Anyhow, I googled for Masala Vada and eventually landed on Lakshmi's blog and found this recipe for Pappu Chekkalu.


I at once decided to try it, made some very tiny tweaks, some for convieniece and some for fun and now since I am sending these with Anshul for a snack tomorrow, I also have a happy man at home. This is the recipe as I did it. I actually tried half the recipe from Lakshmi's blog and used the moong dal that she had suggested, but I used the whole variety since that was all I had.




Pappu Chekkalu - Mixed grain crisps

Makes 10

Ingredients

1/2 cup whole moong dal soaked in 1 cup water
1.5 tsp garlic paste
1 cup rice flour
1/4 cup besan
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1.5 tsp ajwain
1 tsp dried methi
1.5 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1 red cherry pepper
1.5 cups oil for frying


Method of Preparation


1. Grind the dal with the garlic and mix in the remaining ingredients except the pepper. I did this in the food processor.
2. Thinly slice the cherry pepper, (yes, I discovered these in the market for the first time, they are really too spicy for me, but I am using them in tiny doses wherever I can). Mix into the dough.
3. Shape these into small balls and flatten between parchment paper, as shown above. I think this is a really neat tip, I would not have thought of it.
4. Heat the oil and fry in medium heat till golden brown.














2 comments:

  1. Looks great,what a crunchy treat for a winter!:))Photos are good too,thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for mentioning me.
    by the way, Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete