Friday, May 25, 2007

Andhra Shrimp Curry



I think we all like noovelty in our life, so my North Indian husband who loves spices (since this is what he has grown up with) expresses his independence by insisting how much he loves South Indian and (yes after marriage) - bengali food. I cook general South Indian food reasonably well, but have never tried my hand with fish and seafood recipes.

Well I figured the RCI event which features diverse Indian cuisines, this month featuring Andhra recipes, hosted by Latha.
Well, I adapted this recipe from something a friend of mine from Andhra makes. I think it is close, but since I am doing this recipe by instinct, it may not be perfect
Andhra Shrimp Curry
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
Grind to a paste
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic
1 piece ginger
4 green chillies
3 red chillies
3 tbsp coconut powder
Grind to a powder
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
2 sticks cinnamon
2 cardamoms
2-3 cloves
1 tsp turmeric
1 lb shrimp
1 tsp salt
1 lime
3 tbsp oil
1 small onion chopped
For garnish
A few curry leaves
1 tsp chopped cilantro
Method of preparation
1. Coat the shrimp with the lime and vinegar and set aside
2. Heat the oil and add the chopped onion and saute well.
3. Add in the ground paste and powdered spices and cook stirring frequently for 15-20 minutes until it is well browned and the oil separates.
4. Add in the shrimp with 1 cup of water, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Check the salt and serve hot with rice.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds so good to me. I'm saving it right now to my del.icio.us cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My!! the shrimp curry looks yummmm!!! I love shrimp. Thx.

    www.themistressofspices.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is looking so mouth watering....I love it a lot....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shrimp curry looks delicious. Gorgeous color of the curry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks extraordinary. I have fresh green chilies, but only dry red ones. Should I reconstitute them, or can they be ground into the paste dry?

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Andhra Shrimp curries are very famous. you made a great entry with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan,

    While you can use the dried red chillies directly in the paste without reconstituting, the flavor will vary a little, but you should still get good results.

    Sharmi, Kaylyn, Mandira, Aruna and Sukanya,

    Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The shrimp curry looks really good and I would like to try it out. May I know how much vinegar should I use for this recipe? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simplly super Recipe great.....
    i like this dish.....
    Thanks for share.......

    ReplyDelete