Saturday, May 5, 2007

O is for Okra - Bhindi Masala



Ever had to catch a train that left the station. I once had to do this during my commuting days to the city. It took me at least 3-4 tries to get caught up.
I have been getting that feeling as I have been following the A-Z of Indian Vegetables on Nupur's blog. Well, tonight might just be the night when I can make it. I made this Bhindi or Okra dish, in a very classic north Indian style. Just did not fry the bhindi though.
Bhindi Masala
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 lb young fresh okra
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 lime
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 onion finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
3 tomatoes finely chopped
1.5 tsp cumin-coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp dried kasuri methi
For the garnish
1/2 cup chopped grape tomatoes
2 scallions coarsely chopped
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 green chillies minced
Method of Preparation
1. Cut the tops of the Okra and cut lengthwise into 3-4 strips. Smear with turmeric and a little salt.
2. Broil the bhindi on low till crisp and lightly browned. Sprinkle with lime juice and set aside.
3. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds, followed by the onions and garlic and cook till the onions start turning golden.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes with the remaining spices and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes stirring well, till the mixture is well brown and the oil begins to show.
5. Gently, fold in the bindi and the garnish ingredients and cook for 2-3 minutes.
I will warn you, this dish cries out for parathas , which I did not make, so we made do with toasted multi-grain bread.
2. Drizzle with oil and

7 comments:

  1. Broiling the bhindi is such a great idea!
    Thanx for sharing.
    -TC
    http://the-cooker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally drool-worthy! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow the bhendi looks so good. i am drooling very colorfull too

    ReplyDelete
  4. the bhindi masala looks yummy!! nice one for "o"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this dish is usually a sure hit. The broiling is healty and works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rinku,

    Last week, for the very first time (for Nupur´s A-Z Indian eggie Event) I cooked okra... I liked t so much that I spent the whole day looking for different Okra recipes. I have to admit that your site is filled with lots and lots of great recipes. I bookmarked it and starred most of them :) Now, thanx to you, I have stuff to cook for a looooong time :)

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful recipe, enjoyed it and just have to thank you for the good job and goes without saying for Nupur also.
    Take care
    Yasmin

    ReplyDelete