Saturday, May 19, 2007

Moong Dal with Dill



A simple variation of an everyday staple - Moong Dal or Mooger Dal.

I do not know how much dill everyone else uses, but I like to get it to add to salads and then I have a lot leftover. While it is gentler than Cilantro, it is an acquired taste in Indian Cuisine. Here I coupled it with garlic for pretty good results.

Moong Dal with Dill and Garlic

Ingredients

3/4 cup moong dal

1 tsp salt

3 cups water

1/2 tsp turmeric

4 tbsp oil

1 tsp cumin seeds

2 cloves garlic minced

2 tomatoes, finely chopped

1/3 cup dill, finely chopped

Method of Preparation

1. On a pan, dry roast the moong dal till lightly browned.

2. Place into a pot and cook with water, turmeric and salt for 25 minutes.

3. Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds, when they sizzle add in th garlic and tomatoes and cook till they are soft and pulpy.

4. Add in the dill and gently stir into the cooked lentils.

5. Check seasonings and serve with rice or rotis.

This is my contribution for WHB which is being hosted right here at home.

11 comments:

  1. I love dill, especially with fish and in fresh salads. I've never put it into lentils but it sounds very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dill and I have Masoor dal with dill soup at Aroma blog.Love that herb:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it sounds like a great combination. I'm also a fan of dill, but don't seem to use it as much as some other herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love dill, and look for new ways to use it. This looks fabulous! Thanks for hosting WHB this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a lovely combination...so far, I've used dill with toor-daal.....this looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for stopping by. Trupti, I must try it with toor-dal, Sher, I like dill with fish, especially salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the wonderful WHB round-up, but I couldn't leave a comment for this entry. Thanks for hosting the event, you did a great job with so much entries.

    Niche to meet you again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moong dal and dill sounds new to me.. Never tried this combination..nice recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  9. moonger dal dill diye... now that's something I have to try. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never dared to make anything out of dill, as I dont like its smell. but found your recipe interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband does not like dil either, but he did like this dal, maybe because of the garlic.

    ReplyDelete