Friday, May 4, 2007

Springy Salad


Spring has crept up on me as it always does. Especially given the weird weather (at least in NY), it is even harder to discern. One day, I have this balmy weather, the next day snow, then 80F heat. Anyhow, I think we are really into the warmer weather . The flowers are out in my garden, nothing gives me greater joy than the cherry blossom, in full bloom as we speak. It is ironic, let me tell you why, I love flowers. Nothing unusual about that, the first couple of month when I was getting to know my husband he did get me flowers (cut ones), later this slowed down. He informed me being the nature lover that he was, he felt that it was shameful to remove so many flowers of the trees, we should learn to love them in their own environment, etc, etc... Well, when we got married, he did tell me I would not miss flowers but would really not get too many bunches from the shop. True, to his word, I have my favorite seasonal flowers in our garden, through most of the year, and yes, our cherry blossom is a testimony to that. Spring to me has arrived when the cherry blossom blooms. What does this translate to in my kitchen - somewhat lighter foods .
This salad above has a wonderful zesty dressing with some of the sparkle and crunch of spring.
Spicy Spinach Strawberry Salad
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
For the dressing
1/3 cup fresh balsamic vinegar
1/2 inch fresh ginger
2 green chillies
1/3 cup loose basil leaves
1 tsp black salt
2 tomatoes
For the salad
2 cups baby spinach leaves
8 strawberries thinly sliced
1/2 soft cheese (goat or gorgonzola)
1/3 cup walnuts
Method of preparation
1. Place all the ingredients for the salad in a blender and blend to a puree.
2. Toss all the salad ingredients.
3. Drench with the dressing and serve.
I am sending my springy dish to Meeta for her monthly me ingle event where she is featuring the theme of "Spring is in the air.". Look out, smell, find the cherry blossoms, I am sure you will agree.

5 comments:

  1. spinach and strawberries are a great combo. i'm waiting for my strawberry plants to bear fruit so that i can prepare this. the balsamic adds a lot to the flavour. great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely salad....I add Mandarin oranges sometimes, the addition of such citrusy fruits is so good!

    Balsamic Vinegar is always a hit!

    trupti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous. I've really been on a spinach salad kick lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spinach and strawberries an awesome combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone, this is the first time I have tried these indredients together. I have tried the strawberries and balsamic and the spinach with balsamic and they both work well.

    ReplyDelete