Wednesday, March 18, 2009

As Easy as Pie


My personal contribution to these troubled times is to try to minimize the amount of food that I through out. Well, I hate to admit it, I do tend to buy food things very spontaeneously and as I have bemoaned earlier that the general tendency our stores have in that they sell us more that we really need, this tends to be bad in several ways,

1. Bad for the planet, yes once in a while I think about that.2. It can be bad for business, in that it turns off people who do not want quite so much.


Anyhow, I am so not a baker, baking for me is just too precise a culinary form for me. However, I think I have finally figures out the baking form that might cut it for me, with a little bit of help - making a pie. The little bit of help is the readymade piecrust. Well, the pie I am blogging about is my third exceedingly successful creation just this year and guess why the pies work for an experimental indian cook like me - they do not need to be exact. Now, I am sure the pie too have their challenges but not these once that I have tried. So here is a pretty good effort. I will confess however, what I used here will be most of the creadit for this dessert belongs to a lovely jam that I had found in the farmer's and is made by a company called Harvest Song.

So this is how I did this,

Pear and Apricot Pie

Serves Six

Ingredients

1 premade pie crust
2 bartlet pears
1 cup apricot jam
1/3 cup apricot nectar
2 tbsp butter

Method of preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook the crust for about 10 minutes.
3. Thinly slice and core the pear (do not peel).
4. Arrange the pears around the pie shell in an overlapping circle.
5. Mix the jam, nectar and butter in a bowl and heat in the microwave or stove top till mixed.
6. Pour over the pears and bake for 30 minutes.
7. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment