Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sweet Potatoes are good for you!!!





I love pototatoes in almost any form, recently however I was struck by a remark someone made mentioned that they used sweet potatoes in lieu of white potatoes, I had simply assumed that sweet potatoes being sweeter had some more sugar and a prettier color. Well, shows you what I know! Sweet Potatoes talk to your body very differently than regular potatoes and therefore result in a significantly lesser amount of blood and that pretty color is power packed with nutrition and most importantly my daughter loves sweet potatoes.



So, here is what I did with them, alu gobi fans , give this pretty dish a try!



Ginger Cumin Sweet Poatoes with Peas

Serves 6

Ingredients

1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1.5 tsp salt or sea salt
Olive oil cooking spray
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 large cup (about 1 head) of brocolli floretts
1/3 cup peas
Lime juice to sprinkle
Cilantro to garnish

Method of Preparation

1. Toss the sweet potatoes with the turmeric, chili powder and half the sea salt.
2. Drizzle with the olive cooking spray.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees, spread the potatoes in a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes on each side.
4. In the meatime, heat the oil and add the cumin seeds and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add the curry powder and the brocolli and peas.
6. Cover the cooking pan and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
7. Remove the cover and stir in the baked sweet potatoes and mix well.
8. Drizzle with lime juice and garnish with cilantro.

I recently found a website called contest cook, that mentioned a sweet potato contest being held by the NC sweet potatoes comission and I thought that this might a good recipe to send over.

2 comments:

  1. This look superb. I will certainly be trying it. Thank you for your lovely recipes. I've added your blog to my blogroll so I can find you when I need inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cosmic,

    Thanks a lot for your comments!

    Rinku

    ReplyDelete