Friday, June 25, 2010

Beet greens with garlic and toasted almonds

The beets are out in the garden, and I am begining to see little peppers and tomatoes poking their way out of the plants.

This year, I have actually planted an entire host of herbs. I got the seeds and plants from, Rosedale Nurseries. I am too nervous to post pictures until the plants stabilize further. Unlike my other half, I kill plants just by looking at them. I do enjoy their beauty and try to capture them with my camera the best I can. It brings me great delight to capture an unexpected moment in nature.

The beets are usually best roasted. I did make an interesting salad with tofu and cashew nuts that I shall post when I get a second. I did however, love this simple creation we enjoyed mid week for our dinner. The pepper adds a very nice but intense heat to this recipe, you can leave it out if you wish.

Beet greens with garlic and toasted almonds

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serves 4

Ingredients

1/3 cup whole almonds
1/2 cup hot water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
3 pods of garlic, slices
1.5 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 cup chopped garlic scapes (optional)
1/2 jalapeno chilie, minced
4 cups finely chopped beet greens
salt to taste

Method of Preparation

1. Place the almonds in hot water and let them soak for about 10 minutes.
2. Rinse in cold water and remove the skin.
3. Chop coarsely.
4. Lightly toast the almonds, until very lightly golden and set them aside.
5. Heat the oil and the butter and add in the garlic slices, cumin and cook for about half a minute.
6. Add in the garlic scapes and the chilie and continue cooking for about another minute until the mixture is a beautiful, fragrant bubbling mass, this takes about 3 minutes. You need to keep stirring constantly.
7. Add in the beet greens and the salt and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the greens are wilted.
8. Stir in the almonds and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely and healthy green recipe. Looks so good. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now a vegetarian and I am looking for delicious recipe for vegetables. I am so lucky that I found your blog. That a very delicious and healthy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you guys like this recipe. Yes, I try to keep my vegetarian recipes simple and flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always looking for something to do with beet greens...this was a good one! I may adapt it for kale as well.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete