Sunday, June 6, 2010

Kashmiri spiced roasted vegetables


Well, this week along with the turnip greens we were blessed with some turnips, not a lot about 3 fairly large and pretty purple topped varieties.
Well, I pondered on what to do with them, I like these with lamb, however I needed to put together a vegetarian main dish and my vegetarian (sans garlic eating MIL) is visiting for the week.

I did not know whether this would work with lettuce which is the other thing that we have so much of in our garden. So finally I thought of adapting a fairly rich recipe for the oven.

I know that a lot of people avoid the oven in summer, but I have to tell you I prefer it sometimes to stove top cooking. Today it was time for the oven.
Kashmiri spiced roasted vegetables


This recipe came together very nicely and with fairly interesting results.Kashmiri Dum aloo uses small baby potatoes, that are deep fried and then cooked till dry in a nice spice base.
Here I roasted vegetables and then baked them further with the spice and yogurt sauce.

Ingredients

3 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup medium sized broccoli florets
1 cup medium sized cauliflower florets
1/3 cup oil
1-2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
1/8 teaspoon asafetida
2 cups low fat yogurt
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon red chili powder

Method of Preparation

1. Prick the vegetables well, until they appear porous. This is a tip I got from some recipe that Sanjeev Kapoor had suggested. It makes the vegetables crisp and helps absorb the sauce.
2. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
3. Place the vegetables in a baking pan and drizzle with some of the oil and salt and bake for 15 minutes.
4. In the meantime, heat the remaining oil and add the ginger and asafetida and cook until the ginger is nice and crisp.
5. Add in the yogurt.
6. Grind the fennel and cloves to a powder and add in with the red chili powder and remaining salt. Bring the sauce to a simmer, it should be a fair thin sauce.
7. Pour this over the vegetables that should be nice and crisp at this time and cook for another 10 minutes, until the sauce is almost absorbed by the vegetables.





1 comment:

  1. I have always loved roasted vegetables of any kind! I like the way they taste when they are roasted!

    ReplyDelete