Sunday, June 20, 2010

A blush of summer -Blueberry chocolate chip muffins


This week I have been really enjoying the complete onset of the farmers market season, possibly in my mind a complete herald of summer. I have been enjoying berries and of course all the bounty from our yard.A couple of weeks back I was really excited to see a lone blueberry on the tree - the first one at least on the few small bushes that we have. Well, I took a picture that came out blurry, by the time I realized it the blueberry had been eaten. The next few weeks I tried looking for the same effect and took a few more pictures and was please. Well, until I stepped out today, every little cluster had a single lone blueberry, for me a sight for sore eyes. It was just the effect that I had been looking for and I took some pictures that I think were just what I was looking for. Silently as I drank in their beauty I realized in quite pleasure, nature cannot be rushed. We cannot capture it on our terms but rather need to wait patiently and learn to enjoy and cherish its beauty on its own terms.
This morning, I made a brunch for father's day. A quite affair just the four of us. The kids were excited and I know, that is really how the father in this house likes it. On such a day, I always miss my own father. It is more than just the distance that separates up. Bapi is too sick these days to be very interactive. I cannot often speak to him spontaneously. It has to be a planned event.
Well, I made these little chocolate chip blueberry mini-muffins. I would actually call then mini-cupcakes, but I was adviced by the two cupcake experts in my house that cupcakes have to have frosting and anything without are just muffins. They tasted great, so what's in a name.
For the base, I actually used this recipe for an eggless cake. I made a couple of variations to it, used whole wheat pastry flour and melted butter instead of the oil and all purpose flour. Of course I added the blueberries and chocolate chips and most of these are already gone.
Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients
1 cup of yogurt (preferable 1-2 days old)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
11/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup melted salted butter
11/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup blueberries
Ground nutmeg
Cooking spray for greasing the muffin pan

Method of Preparation

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place the yogurt in a bowl and add the sugar and beat well till the sugar is dissolved.
3. Stir in the baking soda and baking powder and let this rest for 3-4 minutes, the mixture should appear nice and frothy.
4. Gently stir in the butter.
5. Mix in the sifted flour in small amounts until well mixed.
6. Stir in the blueberries and chocolate chips.
7. Dust very lightly with ground nutmeg.
8. Grease the muffin pans and add 2-3 teaspoons of the batter and bake for 20 minutes.
9. Turn off the heat and let these muffins rest in the oven for 10 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven and serve when completely cool.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy looking muffins. So moist...Nice recipe. Those blueberries are looking gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sukanya,

    I get more joy viewing them.

    Rinku

    ReplyDelete