Thursday, January 15, 2009

Easy and Satisfying Naan

Golden Whole Wheat Naan
Someone told me about this method, I have to tell you, I am yet to teach a class where I do not get a request to make saag paneer and then asked about naan making. I like to make naan using yeast but realize that it is not quite the same. This recipe is a little heartier and textured because I have used white whole wheat flour and some rye flour. If you do the same using white flour as is done in restarants you shall get something really close.

So this is what I did,

Naan - Puffed Indian Breads

Makes 6-8

Ingredients

3 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups yogurt

Extra flour
Butter for topping (optional)

Method of Preparation

1. Sift the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda.
2. Rub in the oil and mix into a smooth dough with the yogurt. Add the yogurt gradually, the dough should be moist but not sticky.
3. Cover and let this sit for 2 hours in a warm place.
4. Knead the dough well, adding extra flour if needed.
5. Divide into 6 pieces, roll out into round or oval 1/4 inch thick pieces.
6. Pre-heat the oven to 525 degrees.
7. Place the naan on a hot tawa and let this cook till puffed and lightly browned on both sides.
8. Quickly place this in the oven and let this cook for 3-4 minutes till puffed up and browned on both sides.
9. Brush with butter if desired and serve hot.

3 comments:

  1. Funny that. My great aunty's recipe from Kolkata just uses soda water and yogurt to mix the flour and it's much easier to handle than the yeasty stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great, i love naan bread but have never made it myself. Your recipe sounds very manageable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is indeed a manageable recipe.
    I tend to find this easier to manage that working with yeast!

    ReplyDelete