Friday, January 9, 2009

Grilled Masala Vegetables

Grilled Masala Vegetables


As I have mentioned earlier, I get insprired to work with some of my best vegetarian recipes when my in-laws visit. Yes, they are mainly vegetarian. Some of these creations are a result of practicality and some like these lovely vegetables are dishes that almost make putting up with other aspects of their visit worthwhile.
I used my indood little grill, which is a lovely little weeknight addition to my household that I use in spurts. Well, I try something wonderful, then another, and yet another, until another kitchen toy gets my attention. This has been such a full week, I have been fight a cold, the post holiday jolt... you get the drift. Anyhow here is what I did.

Grilled Masala Vegetables

1/2 peeled cucumber
1 cup yogurt
1 inch piece ginger, peeled
2 pods garlic
Plently of freshly ground black pepper
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tsp salt

For the vegetables

1 pgs extra firm tofu (pressed and drained)*
2 cups brocolli florrets
2 tomatoes quartered
1 onion cut into large pieces
1 bell pepper cut into large pieces
Oil or melted butter for basting
Chaat masala for garnish

Method of Preparation

1. Blend all the ingredients for the marinage into a smooth paste.
2. Marinade the ingredient for several hours.
3. Turn on the grill and cook the tofu and brocolli with the cover on for 6-8 minutes.
4. Take off the grill and arrange on a plate.
5. Cook the tomatoes, onion and pepper till somewhat softened.
6. Mix with the vegetables.
7. Sprinkle very liberally with chaat masala and serve.

* Place the tofu between two place and top with something heavy to drain the liquid out

1 comment:

  1. Great way to start the new year with healthy dose of grilled veggies, love it. Happy new year! :))

    ReplyDelete