Monday, August 10, 2009

Dal and Cauliflower Bhartha - Summer 2009!












What makes Summer 2009 different, I honestly am not sure and yet it is different. Possibly because I have actually learnt to appreciate little things through my children's eyes - I do hope that I do not ever lose that perspective.
Small things make a big difference in their worlds, they are also content most days! For example, the highlight of Aadi's world today was to see me use a new pair of cat clippers on Benji! Anshul has been happy with the garden project, I am so happy to finally have more tomatoes than I can use, even if this is transient it is not a mean feat in our household, we are practically addicted to tomatoes!

Well, I have also learnt to love blueberries! For some reason, I restricted my summer berry love to just raspberries and strawberries, thus far!
The other night, I made this very simple bhartha, where I actually substituted cauliflower for potatoes. I was curious to see how this would turn out and in the process realized how important mustard oil is too me. No, I do not use it everyday or for every meal, but I guess when I need it it is an essential. I do not really even have pictures to post of this
A bharta is a puree, usually of eggplant or potatoes. This particular variety is the bengali variety, which does include lentils and usually is made with starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes, pumpkin, taro and of course potatoes. I made this with red lentils (masuur dal) and cauliflower and loved it!
Kofi and mushur daler bhorta - Dal and Cauliflower Puree
Serves 2-3
Ingredients
2/3 cup of red lentils
1 small potato, peeled and cut into quarters
1/2 a head of medium cauliflower
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 tomato, quartered
1-2 tablespoons mustard oil
1/2 red onion, very finely diced
2 green chillies, finely chopped
2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Method of Preparation
1. Place the lentils, potato, cauliflower, garlic, salt, turmeric and tomato in a pressure cooker. Add 1/3 cup of water.
2. Bring the pressure cooker to full pressure and cook for 3 minutes. Cool naturally and remove the pressure.
3. What you should see is a well steamed caulflower with spices clinging to it, a wilted tomato and soft flaky lentils that are fairly dry.
4. With a firm hand and a wooden spoon, mix the vegetables and lentils into a smooth puree.
5. Mix in the other ingredients and enjoy as a side dish or even a dip or spread.







No comments:

Post a Comment