Sunday, August 23, 2009

White lentils with beetgreens








When you work with beets, you also get plenty of beet greens. And when life gives you beet greens - make lentils. I have to confess, for some strange reason over the past several weeks I have been finding several unusual uses for lentils. It just is not something I would think of using in a Pasta sauce. Don't get me wrong, lentils fuel the engine of this house. It is one of the sure work foods with my kids and actually for that matter the "man and his family". Lentils for an Indian child is much like the rice and beans in a spanish household. I tried them this time with white lentils (urad dal).


Beetgreens while having a mild taste do have a stunningly pretty appearance. I loved pulling these out of the soil, cleaning them and enjoying the colors while I worked with them. Lentils are always a comforting dish for me to cook, I love the quite simplicity of the end product.


Urad Dal with Beetgreens and Garlic


Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes
Serves 4-6

Ingredients

3/4 cup white lentils (urad dal)
2 tomatoes (coarsely chopped)
2 cups of chopped beet greens
2 cups of water
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon finely diced garlic
2 dried red chillies
1 lime
Method of Preparation
1. Place the lentils in a pressure cooker and turn on the heat. Lightly dry roast the lentils till they are very lightly browned.
2. Add the tomatoes, beet greens, water, turmeric and salt and cook under pressure for about 15 minutes.
3. Cool and remove the pressure.
4. Heat the ghee and the oil and add the cumin and the garlic and cook till the garlic is lightly browned. Add in the red chillies and cook for about 10 more seconds.
5. Pour this seasoned oil over the lentils and mix lightly. Squeeze in the lime juice and enjoy.
I am sending this entry to two events, the monthly my legume love affair hosted by the well seasoned cook and the chard challenge at daily musings.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there -- I came in from ISG's Daily Musings. This is a completely new way with urad dal, for me -- toasting it first must give a lovely flavor and with beet greens, even better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the luxury of a plant that makes for good eating from top to bottom like beets do.

    Great use of the greens, Rinku. Thanks so much for your MLLA recipe!

    ReplyDelete