Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Reclaiming counter space - mostly in the kitchen!

All right, I have realized that I am completely bursting in the seams in terms of kitchen space. This is not as easy as I would like to believe, my kitchen while not huge is certainly adequately spaced. I am really good at organizing my world electronically but unfortunately everything else can be quite unweildy. I also have a hard time getting rid of things! Not to mention the clutter caused by kids bowls, drinking cups, etc. But again, this really is a very small part of the problem... Most of the problem is really caused by my love of buying spices, beans, lentils, you get the idea... More often than not I try a new vinegar, use it for a dish and then it sits on the counter accumulating dust, the same holds true for teas that I try (it does not help that I like leaf tea and Anshul prefers teabags), so this is going to be my organize my kitchen project. It shall include disposing off several things to reclaim the counter-space in my kitchen. This is going to be painful and so I do need to share this exercise really for inspiration and therapeutic reasons. I am giving myself two weeks for this exercise. I know that is ambitious but sometimes, you have to bite the bullet!


So, today I actually filled two garbage bags full of trash - this is what got tossed out, cheap plastic ware (looked pretty at some point of time), empty duplicate cartons, misc dried spices and herbs, I just dont use these anymore, lots of old powdered spices, package of Handvo mix, old appam mix, two pots that I had no idea existed, mismatched tupperware, three readymade food packages (rajma and amritsari chole) that someone brought along all the way from India, to save me the inconvienience of cooking from them. Well, tomorrow I shall have to take a hard look at the appliances.

Mental notes - Costo is not for food shopping for our family, I do not need to buy poppy seeds or Amchur powder in a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment