Sunday, August 9, 2009

An Indian Sunday Buffet - Malabar Hill

I am not quite sure what motivates people to an Indian restaurant Sunday brunch, I imagine it might be different things for different people. There are many reasons why Anshul and I end up trying out a Sunday lunch buffet, however I hate to tell you, most often a gourmet meal is not the highest on our list of expectations. Sometimes we have been pleasantly surprised and on other other occasions we have not been terribly unhappy - that is precisely the value proposition of this popular Sunday food format. You have a huge array of items - there is usually something for everyone, the kids are thrilled with the variety and usually end up making a meal despite fussing about the spice , just because of the novelty of the items available and sometimes because of the dessert. This is generally our baseline and level of expectations when we try a new Indian brunch!
Today at Malabar Hill was not very different. We had made a snap visit to Albany, to visit my BIL, since my mom-in-law was visiting. We were not able to do much of what I would like to do on the 1-87 trail and drove back to make it in time for lunch at Malabar Hill at Elmsford.
This restaurant initially had much more of a Western Indian focus, which is apt given that Malabar Hill is located in Mumbai, in Western India. A good 3-4 years back I believe this changed ownership which actually added variety, improved the decor and created a fare that is a hybrid of northern and southern Indian classic dishes.
The food had a decent variety and certainly satisfied us travelling farers. My kids loved the tandoori chicken, which actually meant that the chicken was overly soft rather than crisp and was fairly bland. The dosas (Indian rice and lentil crepes) were crisp and nicely done, the offerings on the Chaat table were adequate but not particularly happening!
Based on the original premise, I would be happy to return to this place enroute to errands to get a predicatable bite but chances are I would not add this on my "special places" list. However, I might be over-rule by my daughter who thinks the chicken was done just right!




No comments:

Post a Comment