Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Onion Ribbons




I have been a little troubled today with the news about Senator Kennedy, it somehow feels that the past few weeks have generally had sad news in the public sphere. It really did not help to hear that my son had "hit" a teacher in pre-school. What would possess this kid and why would he do this. I am not sure how to grapple or deal with such strange behaviour. I generally kept myself busy in the kitchen. I did what I always do, fuss around with food. I had these round Texas onions that I wanted to grill. These are different from the normal red onions that I get. I cut them into thick slices and then without realizing I separated a ring. I was quite surprised at the delicate texture, the red or yellow onion is denser. Without realizing, I did a few more and then proceeded to complete the exercise. I ended up with a cutting board full of onion ribbons. I drizzled these lightly with balsamic vinegar before grilling these ribbons and served them for dinner with shrimp.


I am sending this as an entry for Click a monthly photography event hosted over at Jugalbandi.

3 comments:

  1. Grilled onions are always a fav .. try adding some crushed black pepper the next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My twopennies worth. I think just a little chat with him in a neutral environment where your emotions will be in check might do the trick. When this sort of thing happened with mine I would take a day off work and spend a day with the kid and play hooky and do whatever they liked...root around in funky stores or spend the day at a museum and IMAX and have lunch out and just touch base. Both of mine were home from university this summer and during one of our dinner conversations mentioned how much fun it was to play hooky from school with MOM. Love the idea of onions as a side, will definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bulbul,

    Thanks as always for you advice. Always helps to hear from an experienced mom. The kids are growing up way too fast.

    Sharmilla,

    Will try the pepper next time.

    Rinku

    ReplyDelete